Re: [Tigers] removing tall tiger valve covers

To: "Russ and Tammy C." <rtscolgan@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] removing tall tiger valve covers
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 04:38:27 +0000 (UTC)
Not sure what you mean by "tall valve covers". Perhaps the "Powered By Ford"
cast aluminum ones? If so, the answer depends in part on if you have baffles
installed or not. If the baffles are installed, I am guessing not, at least for
the passenger side. Also if you have roller rockers with poly-lock style nuts
riding on the top of the rocker studs, that is going to make things more
difficult. It is hard enough to get the stock covers off with the factory drive
train.

That said, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Gene

PS: If you are going to reset the lifters with the motor running I hope you
have oil deflectors to put on the rockers. Otherwise you are going to have a
big mess with oil flying all over the engine and down on the hot exhausts.
Trust me on that, I know. Alternatively, and maybe even better, an old tech tip
to deal with that is to get a set of old, disposable mustang factory valve
covers. Cut out the tops just over the adjuster nuts and install, with gaskets,
on the engine. Contains the flying, dripping oil while you work.