Re: [Tigers] Sticking brakes

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Sticking brakes
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:45:03 -0400
Mark
        So the question is can the brake cylinder itself hang up
internally?  Will it hang up again the next time I apply the brakes?

Can it hang up internally; yes it can; with the wheel and drum off push the
brake pedal some then release and watch the action of that cylinder.   This
will show if anything is hanging up for any reason.  Check that the cylinder
moves in and out properly and that the shoes retract; grease the pads that
the shoes ride on if needed.

If the cylinder looks like it is hanging up you will have to remove it and
check the condition of the rubber cup seal on the piston and the condition
of the cylinder wall which should look like a mirror finish.

Remember that the rear brake cylinders are a slide fit on the back plate to
help center the shoes and to move when the hand brake is applied.   Make
sure the cylinder can slide.

Put everything back together and with just the brake drum on; try the brake
pedal and the hand brake to see if it works properly.

Good Luck

Ron Fraser