Re: Transmission color

To: Theodore Brown <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission color
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:01:30 -0800
What happened, and when?

Firstly, Rootes made a habit, as do most Manufacturer's, of getting rid
of discontinued production stock before using the replacements.  Note
the sudden change in the Alpine S-V in 1967.  They changed the lip less
headlamp bezels part way through the model run.  The MK II version was
introduced as a real model change.

Engine colors were yet yet another, change to "Ford Blue", although
these may have been "owners" changes.  My '65 Mk I 4 bolt transmission
bell housing was the same color black as the engine.  I did, however,
replace it with a much better "8" bolt transmission housing (dual 4),
which fits either earlier 5 bolt, or newer Mk II 6 bolt bell housings.
Without a differential change, the performance difference was
astounding.  It was directly from a Mk II, and was painted the original
black, with low mileage. ( a strongly recommend change, and suitable for
289/302 6 bolt bell housings).  Check with Bob Hokanson's article in
TigersUnited.com for a great online speed / ratio / rpm automatic spread
sheet and calculator.

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/HokansonGearSpeedXL/pt-HokansonGearSpeedXL.asp

___
Steve Laifman