RE: Octan booster

To: "'Patrick'" <patrick@patmania.ch>,
Subject: RE: Octan booster
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:06:02 -0500
Patrick
        You usually do not need lead additive unless you are running the
engine at 5000 RPM or more all the time.   The lead additives I have tried
in the past have gummed up the spark plugs too quickly on my mostly stock
260 engine.   I don't use lead additive any more.

        If the compression ratio of your engine is more than 10 to 1; you
will probably need some octane booster with 80 octane fuel.   Low octane and
high compression will produce pre ignition, detonation, or what is most
commonly called knock.   Knock is bad, very bad for the engine.

        There are many factors involved with knock and it is possible your
engine with run fine on 80 octane but I would have some octane boost handy
just in case.  Retarding the ignition advance curve might help some but it
also reduces the fun factor.

Ron Fraser