Newoil formulations and failing cams

To: "Tiger Board" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Newoil formulations and failing cams
From: "John R. Engle" <tigermaniac@siscom.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:21:43 -0400
Hi all:

I am very interested in this subject and decided to contact Shell directly
about this problem and their Rotella T oil as being a solution.  Following
is the exact response I got back from Lubrication Engineer, MaryCarol
Boemmel of Shell: Dear John,

" Zinc levels are being lowered on almost all engine oils, but heavy duty
diesel engine oils, such as Rotella T, will continue to have higher levels
than the passenger car/gasoline engine oils.  The Rotella T 15W-40 meets API
SL, SJ, SH and all previous specifications for gasoline engines.  The 15W-40
viscosity is heavier than what is recommended for most gasoline engines, but
if you feel comfortable with it, then there should be no problem.  Rotella T
15W-40 is recommended for and used in many mixed fleet applications.  It
does have a higher antiwear level to protect the heavy duty diesel engines
and should give you a very good performance in this regard."   So, there you
have it.  My 289 hi-po was specifically set up by "Ohio George" Montgomery
to run with 20W-50 oil so the 15W-40 should not be a problem for me or, I
would imagine,  most other Sunbeam owners with flat tappet camshafts.  Just
my 2cents.