Re: Hypothetical brake question

To: theo.smit@dynastream.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hypothetical brake question
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 00:11:30 EDT
In a message dated 10/24/2006 8:57:18 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
theo.smit@dynastream.com writes:

Hi  all,
So the parts desk guy messed up and got me a 1999 Mustang Cobra rear
brake setup (vented 11.6" rotors and calipers) when I'd asked him for
1999 Mustang GT parts (solid 10.5" rotors and calipers). I dragged the
whole box home before I realized the error. Now I'm sure that I can get
them to exchange the parts, but the question is, should I? I'll be using
Wilwood 11.75 x 0.81" vented rotors in the front or maybe the 11.75 x
1.25" ones. I've already verified that the rear rotors and calipers
don't hit anything inside the wheels (16x7, 5 on 4 1/2, 2005  Mustang).

What I'm looking for is an effective setup for autocross,  track days,
and street driving. Currently my Tiger has a stock-ish '88  5.0, but who
knows what the future holds. The Cobra rear brakes are  certainly going
to be more than adequate, but am I going way off the deep  end?

I believe the caliper is the same for both the GT and Cobra rears, with the
only difference being the rotors and caliper brackets (which aren't relevant).
 If you have the room, why would you not step up to a vented rotor over a
solid  one? Kind of a no brainer!

Regarding the fronts, I wonder if the 13" Brembo rotor would work...it  does
fit your hubs and costs less than the Wilwood. Might be worth  considering.
You also could use the two piston PBR caliper, which is a good  piece with tons
of pad options.

Mike