RE: Car Hauler

To: choffman9@cinci.rr.com ("Curt"),
Subject: RE: Car Hauler
From: Sjhcobra1@cs.com
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 20:05:47 -0400
Curt:

I am no expert on trailering, as I bought my trailer last year to tow to
Alexandria Bay.  Since then I have taken it to Columbia, SC and to Covington,
KY.

My trailer is an open 16 foot, beaver tail trailer with two 3500# axles,
electric brakes on one axle, diamond plate floor runners (it's open in the
middle). It weighs about 1900 pounds.

Last year I towed it with a 2005 Ford Ranger Extended cab with a 4.0 liter V6
that had a towing capacity of approximately 5,000 pounds.  I thought that it
did very well through the mountains along I81 to New York and back home to
Florida.

This year I bought a GMC SIERRA Crew Cab with a 4.8 liter V8 with a 10,100
pound towing capacity.  The larger truck does a better job of towing.  I think
the longer wheelbase makes the difference. I towed a 1972 Mach 1 from Columbia,
SC to Tampa and my Tiger to and from Covington, KY satisfactorily.

When you look at trailers it's a good idea to hook it up to your tow vehicle
and load your Tiger.  By doing this I discovered that the standard 4 foot ramps
weren't long enough to load the Tiger. Also when loaded you want to be sure
that the front of your tow vehicle doesn't raise more than 1" when you position
your car on the trailer.  Lastly be sure to buy straps that have latching
hooks.  I like the ones that latch to themselves around the the rear spring
brackets and then the front pair that I secure to the lower control arm have
ratchets. Also the diamond plate storage cabinets that fit in the tongue well
are really great to hold your straps, jack, bungee cords etc..

Feel free to call me if you would like to discuss this further.

Steve Halbrook
813.681.5248