260 engine paint

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: 260 engine paint
From: Tim Webster <crabco@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 18:43:52 -0700
To All,

I need your help. I have the 260 ready to be installed except for paint. I
have taken great pains to get this car right and do not wish to mess up here.
In TBON the engine is described as having been painted "black". I understand
that this is a gloss black. I just spent a large portion of today chasing
around town trying to nail down the right of glossiness and it was fruitless.

No doubt there is someone in the community who can sagely recommend a suitable
paint for the block. I heard from Norm Miller that Toploaders were either
black or left unpainted. Why is this so? Is there not an advantage to painting
them to preclude rust?

No to load to many queries into one email, but can anyone suggest a good
substitute for the "satin black" as mentioned in TBON?

May I asume that bellhousings were left bare aluminum?

I talked to the local expert car appraiser today and he recommended Burfords;
part # A-4311-OB, as being correct. When I went to the paint experts their
eyes literally glazed over as I was escorted to the door.

Any hints greatly appreciated.

Tim