Re: Restated question, was LAT 70 offset

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Restated question, was LAT 70 offset
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:17:11 -0800
Bob,
   I do the same thing regarding negative offset. Perhaps because 25+ years
ago I also read Phun's book. It does seem logical to state "negative" with a
decrease in track width (from stock) and "positive" for an increase in track
width. Where as using the term "backspacing" does seem to eliminate the
problem, I can also see someone (perhaps even me on a bad day) thinking that
one might be refering to how far off the hub (as in moving outward from the
hub, BACK towards them) is backspacing. I guess the only real way to get it
understood by anyone would be to know the stock track width (which in itself
might bring a debate on the measuring point - inner, outer and wheel
center!!!), then state a numrical increase or decrease, do the math and then
state that difference as it applies to the wheel. Then again the wheel guy
might apply the offset to the wrong side of the wheel (again due to whose
terminology is used).
  So I guess the only way to really get it right is to buy one of those
special wheels that allows you to adjust backspacing, offset or whaterver
one might call it. Set it to the desired position, take it to the wheel guy
and simply say "Make This."   :-)

Tom Witt