Re: Tiger Trailer

To: frese@muskingum.edu, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tiger Trailer
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:25:22 EST
Andy,
    I highly recommend a two axle trailer over a single axle.  A two axle
tends to stay in a straight line when on the freeway and the tires and
bearings will not be overloaded.  I towed my Tiger for many years on a single
axle trailer, and I was always concerned a tire or a bearing would fail.
    Another trailer 'axiom' follows (no pun intended):
You want the distance between the rear axle of your tow vehicle and the
trailer axle/s to be less than the wheelbase of your tow vehicle.  Here's
what happens: if your trailer has a long tongue and that distance is greater,
the trailer tends to have a mechanical advantage and steers the tow vehicle.
For the same reason, a long wheelbase van is a superior tow vehicle compared
to a Jeep.
    There is a Vintage Alpine / Lotus 7 racer in Canada, Jim McDonald, that
builds trailers using 'space-saver' spare tires he gets for free in Wrecking
Yards.  He is an engineer, and he says these solid rubber tires (no air) have
had more destructive testing than almost any other product you can name.  The
advantage is his trailers are very low to the ground, which is good for
resistance thru the air and fuel mileage, and the ease of loading and
offloading cars.  The tires seem to last forever.  I do not know if he sells
plans.  Here is his address: group7@cadvision.com

Jim Leach   Pacific Tiger Club  Seattle