RE: New gauges

To: RGGAMMA@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: New gauges
From: Randall Antosiak <randya@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:48:05 -0800
Hi Gunny - I just replaced my dash last summer using the same Prestige dash
with door - very nice!  Here is the approach I used - it worked well.

1) attach glove box - Assuming that you got a new glove box from Sunbeam
Specialities, it really does fit but sure doesn't seem like it when you
first try it.  Attach it using the screws from your current dash, and give
yourself lots of time.  After each screw was attached, I had to refit it.
Also, the glove box is made for the doorless dash, so you will have to
attach additional material to the box where it has a gap for the dash
handle.  This is the hardest part for sure.

2) move one gauge at a time.  Detach the mounting screws for the old dash
and carefully let it drop.  Try to keep most wires attached - some will be
too tight, so these will have to be detached and labelled.  Then, move one
gauge from the old dash to the new dash.  This is an easy way to keep the
wires sorted out.

3) When all gauges are moved, make sure that your ground wires are correct.
They snake all over. They attach to the car ground at a dash mounting point
near the ignition.

4) Careful of the ignition wires.  If these become detached from the
ignition switch, it is difficult to figure out their original location.

Cheers, Randall