Re: Tiger II Speedometer Cable

To: Chris Thompson <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Subject: Re: Tiger II Speedometer Cable
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 22:26:58 -0700
Cable problems:

While I did not have the misfortune described by Chris, I did learn a
thing, or two, about Tiger cables.

1) The original cable had a plastic inner sheath, which wore quickly.
2) The design fittings at both ends are Ford, including the Speedo
mating. A speedo shop did not want to replace the core as they didn't
have the "English" sized fittings. After I convinced him it was FORD, he
replaced it.
3) I thought the inner cable was too short, so wanted a longer one to
reach the speedo correctly.
4) What was actually wrong was the crimped outer tube, holding the
speedo coupling nut, was not tight on the outer cable, and would slide
under force. This made the inner core look too long, or too short,
depending on which way you were pulling.

After the speedo shop made a new heavy duty core (this was a steel outer
core unit) to protrude the correct amount, we found the sliding outer
tube. The original core was the correct length, after all, and it was
the sliding outer tube that made it appear short.

Now that I had too long an inner core, he connected it to the speedo,
with the correct pre-load against the speedo bearing, and crimped the
outer tube to the outer cable tightly. Should have done it with the
original core, but it was too late.

Works fine now.

Check this crimp connection, to assure it's tight, before making a new core.
--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/