Re: Oil Gauge -too clean

To: Chris Mottram <c_mottram@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Gauge -too clean
From: Dick Barker <dickbarker@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 18:54:53 -0800
At 02:33 PM 02/25/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>I over cleaned the face plate of my oil gauge on the
>mk1a and now I have no "Jaeger" graphics :-(  and
>faded "oil" graphics.  Which brings me to my next
>observation.  The oil gause in the  SV Alpine has a
>different looking face plate.  They are both 1966
>Sunbeams.
>Is the Tigers supposed to be different?  Maybe one of
>my cars gauges is not stock?  Has anyone made a silk
>screen of the gauge faces?  How about the Heater
>control face plate.  Mine is nasty.  Anyone have a
>face plate for the oil gauge they want to part with.
>
>Chris
>
>Thanks to all who are helping me e-restore my Tiger.

Chris,

You are correct, the face of a SV Alpine oil pressure gauge is different
than a Tiger MK I/IA (but the same as a MK II).  A professional instrument
rebuilding company can probably provide a new face for your gauge, but I'd
just look for a replacement.  They are plentiful and fairly reasonable.
Sorry, but I don't have one right now.

The story is a little different for the heater control bezel, which is
identical on all Tigers and S IV/V Alpines.  These are a little harder to
find than the gauges, so just be patient and keep looking.  You will
eventually find what you are looking for.

In case you decide that some of your other electrical components also need
replacement, remember that Alpines Series I-IV are positive ground---only
the SV is positive ground.  FYI, your temp & gas gauges are internally
identical (note that they are both wired to the small intrument voltage
stabilizer under the dash).  Only the bezel markings differ.  Tiger
tachometers, speedos, amp gauges and clocks are also model specific.

All this is covered in the Book of Norman, which I should think would be a
must for anyone involved in an extensive e-restoration like yours.  Good
luck on your project!

Dick Barker