Engine issue

To: Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine issue
From: "Dr. T. Y. McDowell" <tym@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 09:09:19 -0400
Tigers,
I have a newly built 302 in my Mk1A.  All the good stuff, including
aluminum heads, cam, Mallory Unilite, etc.

Here's the problem.  After we got the motor running, the plugs fouled in
a very short time.  My friend, who is very knowledgeable, thought it was
the carb, which was about one year old.

We replaced the carb with one off another car and changed the plugs.
The result was the same.  We changed the plugs and installed a third
carb (Holley 650 double pumper).

The real problem is that the engine doesn't seem to like the timing no
matter where we place it.  The engine acts like it has too much timing
and is very flat.  This motor should have lots of snot and doesn't.  If
I didn't know better, I'd say that we had the spark plugs wired
incorrectly, but i know that's not the case.

I have a Holley electric fuel pump and a pressure regulator set at 5.5
psi.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tym McDowell