Re: Update on brake problem

To: derekw@zamnet.zm
Subject: Re: Update on brake problem
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 08:27:13 -0700
Derek,

Good thought.  I should recommend, here,  that everybody get one of those
"Emergency Servo Kits" from CAT Warehouse.  It is a short piece of stainless
hydraulic hose with the correct "bubble flare" (not DOUBLE) compatible female
ends. American cars use "double flare" fittings, which are nOT compatible with
British fittings.  Rick  and Curt has metal lines available.  These emergency
kits connect the goes-into line to the goes-out-of line bypassing the servo.
It makes the pedal effort higher, but many like it fine that way.  It is great
if you get a sudden failure, and are sucking all your fluid through you vacuum
line and out the exhaust.  Costs about $10 to members.  Always keep one inside
the spare tire tool holder well (in a zip-lock)

Steve

derekw@zamnet.zm wrote:

> Greg,
>
> I suspect the little non-return valve in the M/C which allows fluid to feed
> down into the piston from the reservoir but closes (well it should) under
> braking. These come with the rebuild kit. Only other thing I can think of is
> the booster assist coming in at different amounts of pedal travel. Try
> disconnecting and plugging the booster hose and see if the variation comes
> with unassisted braking. Bonus is you get more leg exercise during the
> experiment. Cheers, derek
>
> PS Got my crank back cut and balanced. Looks like they only removed a few
> grams from the external balance wedge on the flywheel. Hope it runs smoothly
> after all the effort. Thanks to all for the balancing info-- especially the
> tip of sending the timing sprocket to get the pulley position right.--

Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >
                         < and don't let it get away!>

http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

                            _/
                     _/_/_/