Re: Clutch Master

To: Robert Dobrowski <rsdslp@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch Master
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:38:25 -0700
Robert Dobrowski wrote:

> I just bought a clutch master cylinder from CAT and it came with a
> threaded rod for the pushrod rather than a rod with a clevis. Does anyone
> know where I can get a clevis to thread onto the end of this clutch
> master cylinder pushrod. The rod is 5/16" with fine threads.

Bob,

Welcome to the wonderful world of "Universal Replacement Parts".

When your good friend, and mine, Lucas bought out the Girling line, one of
the first things they did is stop making parts for old cars.  Then they
started reducing the number of stocking items for repairs.  They
consolidated the slave clutch cylinder for the Tiger into one that can be
sold for many different cars.

Unfortunately, they do not really fit.  Mine came with a threaded push rod
and clevis for "universal length adjustment".

Too bad it can not be made short enough to fit the Tiger's pedal location.

The solution is to remove the rubber boot and circlip (with a good circlip
tool that will not damage your parts) from the original slave cylinder.
Remove it, and the rubber booty (if it's still there) and clean it up.  You
will find that it is one piece, and non-adjustable. And it fits fine.

The "universal replacement" new one is two pieces that can never be made
short enough without cutting the thread, discarding the clamp bolt, and
welding it on.  Might as well use the old one.

Slide the boot cover over the disc of the old one piece rod, ( a little
stretching required), insert it into the slave and carefully insert the
circlip. I never have been able to get that outer rubber sleeve on.  The old
one didn't have any.  If you figure it out, let us know.  If you must have
it, cut it with a razor, wrap it around, and hold with a nylon toothed
strap.

Welcome to the world of "reduced stocking inventory".  They did the same
thing with the LMA.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/