1966 Tiger For Sale (Long post)

To: "Tigers@autox,team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1966 Tiger For Sale (Long post)
From: "Daniel S. Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:44:36 -0600
Hi Listers,

Mark Olsen contacted me to say my listing got spammed and I needed to repost
it to the list. Here we go again with a long addition.

    With great sadness it looks like I'm selling the Tiger. Wife says it's
too powerful and too fast for her to drive. Can't seem to get my wife and
son in the car at the same time without scaring me to death having my son in
the back without seatbelts. Looking at another car or possibly a new
project. Maybe something with a little more room. If interested, or know
someone interested, please contact me off list.  Will be glad to
work with anyone from the list or any of the clubs. Would like to see this
car go to someone who will treat her right. Will hold out if necessary.

Here is some info on the car.

The restoration is a combination of me doing some things and leaving others
to the professionals. I checked out body and paint shops for months before
deciding on the shop that did my work. I stripped the car down of all the
exterior trim including removing the windshield and side glass. I then took
the car over to the body shop and they stripped the paint by hand and then
repaired any places that needed repairing and painted the car. I then
brought the car back home where I have reassembled the car and detailed the
engine compartment using TBON to get the correct colors. Once I finished
what I could do I returned the car to the body shop where they are going to
make all the necessary adjustments to fit the windshield, side windows and
hardtop. The soft top has not been installed yet. The car is still at the
body shop. The only person I will let work on the car is on vacation until
next week so I will wait. As soon as the body shop has everything aligned I
will have the new soft top installed. That is a different shop. Will also
have the person doing the soft top fit my new toneau cover to the roll bar.
I still have the original soft top and toneau, but they needed replaced.

   FYI, I did not do a ground up restoration. I spoke to a number of people
who restore cars, including Norm Miller, and all suggested doing what I am
doing. Just following the pros suggestions. I'm glad I did too. Have already
seen a few good intentioned projects being sold off still in boxes.

   To my knowledge this is an all matching numbers car. I've contacted the
original owner who assures me that everything is original except the carpet
and the seats. Says the engine, transmission, rearend are all original.

   The engine was modified, when the original owner had the car, to the
factory Hi performance specs. Not sure what that last statement means but
that is what the PO told me. Have an original letter from the person who
did the modifications dated 8/18/75. Here is what was done to the engine:

1. All bearings ( rod & main) are standard, shaft polished to .002-.003 fit.
Bearings are Federal Mogul.

2. Rings are Hastings chrome, standard.

3. Valve seals are Hastings (289 seals, different from 260).

4. All gaskets are stock except the head gaskets are Mr Gasket copper,
sealed with k-w copper sealing paint.

5. Clutch disc rebuilt ; throw out bearing is a sealed heavy duty (no grease
fitting), standard brand.

6. Ford dual point distributor.

7. Connecting rods are all Hypo 289 and the cam is Hypo 260 (solid lifter
according to the PO).

8. Valve springs and locks are Ford Hypo. The keepers, washers on top of
spring, are stock. Settings are .018 intake and .020 exhaust, cold.

9. Cloyes gear "True Roller" cam drive fitted to this engine. Has complete
explanation in his letter of what was done to fit to the engine. I assume
this is the timing chain.

10. The car has headers.

11. I installed the F4B Edelbrock intake manifold with a 465 Holley
carburetor. I modified the carburetor with help from Steve Laifman and the
Holley factory. I installed new jets two sizes smaller than supplied to lean
it out and replaced the secondary spring to a neutral spring. Also replaced
the base plate with a 600 cfm base plate. This was needed to keep the pcv
system. The base plate on the 465 does not have a provision for the pcv
system. This conversion is a bolt on and requires no modifications to the
carburetor.   I felt it was worth the investment. Would hate to run an
engine of this caliber without a pcv system. I've gone to great expense and
pains to do this right, although I know there are a lot of people that would
say I wasted my money.

The car was just about rust free. One of the advantages of living in a
desert climate. No one in this area knows how to do true body work where you
lead any imperfections, so I know the body shop used some bondo to smooth
out little dings and one area where it looked like the front tire hit the
front valance. There was only one spot of rust and it was so small the body
shop removed the rust and then repaired the area. This was at the bottom
rear of the front fender well on the passenger side. Wasn't more than an
inch long and was at the very bottom. No other rust other than the typical
surface stuff you find on all cars of this age.

  I have all the paperwork going back to the day the car was bought new from
Larry Reeds Sports Cars in 1967. This is a real Tiger. Had planned to have
it TAC'd here in Texas but the TAC meeting never materialized. The original
owner is alive and well living in Nevada.

The interior has all original panel upholstery. I built my own door panels
using the originals as my template. Still have the originals. Put the
original upholstery back on over the new door panel. The original owner had
the seats redone years ago with a light blue cloth center on both seats. He
said the original vinyl was just too hot in this area. He also replaced the
carpet. I replaced the original dash with a new Prestige Autowood dash with
the glovebox door. Personally I think it just gives the car that finished
look. The trunk has all the original panels.

   When I got the car last year the soft top had never been raised. I pulled
it out and it had shrunk badly. The PO has installed screws to hold all the
interior panels on so they wouldn't be loose. These screws also hold the
rear waist roll. I bring this up because the PO installed screws that were
too long and they cut the soft top on both sides of the rear window. I plan
to replace these screws with machine screws with acorn nuts before
installing the new soft top. The PO also installed a stereo and mounted two
speakers in the rear panel. Doesn't seem to interfere with the soft top
operation at all. I still have the stereo, but I found an original LAT 72
Radio kit and an NOS radio. Have restored it myself and just got the radio
out of the shop where they had cleaned it up and tuned it. Will mount it in
the car this week. Will not be using the rear speakers but I will leave them
in place just so I don't have two holes in the rear partition. If I were
keeping the car my next project would be to re-upholster the car. Have
already talked with Martha Christiansen (Martha Wheat) at Pro Prep interiors
and she sent me a price list. I think I would go with top of the line. My
wife thinks I should do the interior in that palomino color. Guess that is
up to each persons preference. I'm sure it would look great with the
commodore blue paint.

   I haven't really touched much on the underside. I know it needs new pass
throughs for the exhaust. Ever who installed the headers and modified the
exhaust cut the original pass throughs to accomodate the exhaust. I already
have new pass throughs just haven't found anyone in this area I trust to do
the job right. I also have a new exhaust system from Tiger Technologies
still in a box. The only things I've done on the bottom are replace the
bellows on the R & P and install new tie rod ends at the same time.

  I hope I've answered your questions. You can see photos of the car from
the time I found the car to the semi completed project at:

This is Photo Album 1:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/deiland1?d&.flabel=fld3&.src=ph

This is Photo Album 2:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/deiland1?d&.flabel=fld5&.src=ph

As you can probably tell this is a work in progress as most of these are.

Some of the original items I have that were removed from the car over the
years are:  exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, carburetor, chrome valve
covers, Lucas headlamps, sun visors, oil filter assembly, dash, and other
smaller items.

Some of the original items missing are:   air cleaner housing, brake booster
and mounting hardware, tags on valve covers and original hood.

Things I have obtained for the car are: an orginal air cleaner housing
(chromed top and bottom), a 5" & 7" brake booster ( both need rebuilt).

I also have a signed Book of Norman, several reprints of Tiger books and
some original adds and all paperwork going back to the day the car was sold
new.
The keys are the original keys, number matching, but the locks have all been
reworked to use one key.

If interested let me know and we can talk. If you would like to talk to a
real person instead of email you can reach me at
home 915-833-3979 or on my cell 915-203-0734.

Give me a call and we can talk.

Thanks.

Dan Eiland
B382002652LRXFE
This is a 1966 MK IA Tiger registered as a 1967.
This one dated in the last two weeks of production for the 260 engine.
email:  deiland1@elp.rr.com or call 915-833-3979 MST