dimpled radiator results

To: Joseph.Rodriguez2@PSS.Boeing.com, alpines@autox.team.net,
Subject: dimpled radiator results
From: "Tim Beloney" <65_s5v6@prontomail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 19:17:21 -0800
Ok, I put the new radiator on and it is BETTER, but not perfect.
 From what I've been told the car will tend to run pretty hot since
the engine is so new and tight.  Here's she scoop (and some qustions):

I removed the electric fan, put a box fan in front of the car,
started the car, adjusted the idle.  At this point there is no
shroud, but the cooling fan is about 1/2-3/4" from the radiator.  I
attached my newer temp gauge, and the car ran at about 212F or so,
but never boiled over, died, or anything.  The engine seemed MUCH
cooler to the feel than it did before, but it's still (according to
my temp gauge) not running at 170 or 180. In fact at one time it
jumped up to 220-230, but I turned the car off.  I immediately
checked the radiator, but no boiling over and I could remove the cap
after just a minute - and it isn't all that hot to the touch (not so
cool that I can rest my hand on it though).  The thermostat is
working since I can see water movement.

Here's my question #1.  I'm not sure if my temp gauge, sender, or
whatever is accurate.  What's the best/easiest/don't need an
engineering degree way to accurately check the temperature?

Here's my question #2.  After the engine "loosens up", how much will
that affect the temperature?  And what about the added air flow when
the car is actually moving?

Here's my question #3.  I am using the stock Capri fan (remember this
is a V6 swap).  Should I try a different one?  It looks small in
there!

Getting closer (allthough what I may be getting closer to is a Modine
core Steve! :p)

Tim