RE: belhousing needed

To: "'Steve Laifman'" <laifman@flash.net>, Bellis <Bellis@isoc.net>
Subject: RE: belhousing needed
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@isotel.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:32:03 -0600
Bob, Steve, and Listers,

Besides the tire width, you also want to give the nominal diameter some
consideration. You can compare the nominal height of different width and
aspect ratio tires using the following formula:
Height = (Wheel Diameter)+(2 x Width x AspectRatio/100)

So if we were to compare, let's say, a 165/80-13 to a 195/60-14 tire, we
get:
13 + (1/25.4 in/mm) x 2 x 165 x 80/100 = 23.39 inches.
14 + (1/25.4 in/mm) x 2 x 195 x 60/100 = 23.212 inches.

It is important to realize that the tire "width" is highly dependent on the
wheel it's mounted on and that tires from the different manufacturers do
not necessarily give you the same amount of tread on the road even if they
have the same numbers on the sidewall. There is a large selection of
performance rubber available in 13" and 15" sizes, but not in 14". In my
opinion the widest 14" tire you should run is a 205/55-14, and that's only
if you can find 6" or 7" wheels to mount them on. For street and occasional
autocross use I'd go with 195/60-14, because the diameter is near original,
and they will likely not stick out beyond the fenders, so long as they are
mounted on reasonable wheels. Brand? pick your favorite.
http://www.tirerack.com is a good place to browse what's available.

If you go with the larger diameter wheels (15 or even 16" are available)
then you have to consider lowering the car so that it doesn't look like a
4x4. The Vanderpools' car (http://members.home.net/tsmit/suni.html, near
the middle) used 16" wheels and everything fit under the car, and it looked
great. This was a Dale's restoration, so he should be able to help you in
terms of spring selection.

good luck,
Theo Smit
tsmit@home.com
B382002705

On Tuesday, October 26, 1999 8:44 AM, Steve Laifman
[SMTP:laifman@flash.net] wrote:
> Bellis wrote:
>
> > dear listers: last week i put out the need for a 6 bolt  bellhousing
for my
> > tiger heh trans several people answered but somehow i deleted their
messages
> > could they please send them again as i still need a bellhousing   also
does
> > anyone have any experience with 14" wheels on their tiger? i would like
> > run 14" panasports any idea on tire size? i do not want the tires to
stick
> > out
> > thank you
> > bob "b9473215" ellis
>
> Bob,
>
> Panasport has 14" and 15" wheels specifically made for the Tiger.  They
have the
> proper offsets for fenders and suspension.  The rear wheel width is
greater than
> the front, and the offset is different as well, making them non
interchangeable.
> But you don't "rotate" radials, anyway.
<snip>
>  The 15" wheels take 50 profile tires, which are more expensive, have a
greater
> range of style and performance available, and are generally more
expensive. The
> over-all appearance of these wheels is excellent, and they are custom
selected and
> drilled to order, so don't expect any 'in-stock'.
>
> The balance in looks and performance for the 15" 50 series and the 14" 60
series
> is up to your needs.
>
> Just make sure that when they are ordered they are specified for the
Tiger, and