Re: Akerman Geometry and Chateau Elan

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Akerman Geometry and Chateau Elan
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 16:36:37 -0700
Bob Palmer wrote:

> Steve, Chris, et Listers,
>
> Not sure how much, if any of this post is "tongue-in-cheek", but Rick
> McCleod sells the same part number for both Alpine S-IV &V and Tiger and I
> personally have never heard of any different specifications between Tigers
> and Alpines in this regard......
>
> TTFN,
>
> Bob

No, Guys

Not humor.  I wish it were.  I saw the letter from an English Replacement
Equipment manufacturer stating exactly what I did.  That it's ball joints are
for
Alpines only, and should not be used on a Tiger.  This is not, however, to be
taken as contrary to what Bob has mentioned.  The bad Akerman angle does put
much
higher loads into the ball joints, and they have broken on sharp low speed
maneuvers, including back-ups.

I am not sure that the ones that broke were new Tiger OEM joints, Alpine joints,
or the English Replacement Equipment manufacturers "Alpine only" joints.  Now,
if
only I could remember where I saw that letter.  But I am sure I am not the only
one.  It was posted, or on a web site - letterhead and all.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/