Repeat of Electric Fan

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Repeat of Electric Fan
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 11:26:22 -0700
I apologize for re-sending this message, but Mr. Flynn's original had
lines 150 characters wide.  I presumed my mail program would truncate
the reply, as seen on my screen.  It didn't.  Both his message and my
reply were really strung out long.  Difficult to read.  If yours came
through ok, then scrap this, but it's worth retaining, if you are
considering this job.

Steve

rflynn wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I just read your 12-May-1998 "Fan-Tastic" post to the tiger list and
had one question:

> Is the shrouding for these fans supposed to be in in direct contact
with the front plane of the radiator?

> I ask this because 1) I've not been able to figure it out from *any*
of the messages on the list; 2) I have an
>electic fan on my recently aquired Tiger MKI w/289 but it has no
shrouding at all; 3) the car runs like a champ in
>all but bumper-to-bumper/mostly stop, rarely go traffic, in which it
promptly overheats & possibly does the >vapor lock gig.  I've yet to go
through the list of things to check (hoses, radiator, etc., etc.), but
I'm also trying to
>learn about what I've got (or what is missing from what I've got!)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> rick

Rick,

I am presuming, form the information you've provided, that your 5 (6)
bladed water pump fan shroud is in direct
contact with your radiator already.  On mine, which is in really good
shape, I found that even the seal here isn't all
that good.  Next time you have it out, I'd consider a layer of 1/4 inch
foam insulation tape around the edges.  Get
the 'good' stuff.  Cullen Bennett even made a small piece of aluminum to
complete the bottom missing portion of
this shroud, with due care around the rack area.

As to the Electric Fan, it is absolutely essential that there be a
shroud around the blades, and that the complete
shroud be sealed to the radiator.  But, this does NOT mean direct
contact between the hard plastic fan shroud and
the soft copper (or aluminum) fins and tubes.  Further, I would never
mount the fan to the radiator with either the
plastic, or metal rod ties provided with some.  These will rub through
your radiator.

Hopefully you have a high efficiency, high flow rate fan.  If not, I can
recommend a good source. (see last
paragraph)

My fan has snap-in feet that extend the shroud to a metal insert screw
nut.  It can, of course, be mounted
horizontally or vertically. I chose to have the feet vertical.  I
attached a small aluminum angle to the unused
crank arm box, and bolted the bottom pair of feet to it.  The metal
angle is only about 3 inches long.  I spaced
the bottom feet so that the top feet were in direct contact with the
upper sheet metal.  The whole assembly is
mounted as close to the radiator as possible.  The "tricky" part is
finding exactly where those upper feet threads
are located on the upper surface of the body inner sheet metal (this is
the part of the body, just under the hood, that connects the front end
to the radiator support and fenders, and has the holes in it for the
hinges.  When I located
the location, I center punched and drilled a hole in line with where
those feet would be if the fan were installed.
 The feet, of course, are perpendicular, and the body sheet metal is at
an angle, only one edge of the foot touches the metal.

Doesn't matter, but if your clever you could file it to the same angle
for complete contact.  I used an aluminum
pop rivet to fasten each of the upper feet to the body sheet metal.

The lower mounts, being directly below (vertical) the upper were shimmed
with spacer washers to the
angle bracket.  This is a very firm support, and can be removed with a
little poop-rivet drilling, but shouldn't be
necessary except for replacement.

Now the tricky part.  The fan shroud was still too far from the radiator
for any reasonable sticky-back foam
(3/4 inch is what I used).  Didn't want to use two layers, but it's
possible.  I had some rubber trim from the
Tiger trunk area that I used to extend the shroud forward.  It will be
necessary to attach the "U" portion to
the shroud and cut out the portions interfering with the fan structure.
Dykes (sp?) or hack-saw for metal insert
type may be needed.  I used those pop rivets to secure it to the
shroud.  This extension allowed the 3/4" foam
to contact and compress against the radiator.  Vibration does not scrub
the fins.

The fan source is Scott Manufacturing, 25520 AVE. Stanford, STE. 304,
Valencia, CA 91355.  (805) 295-9340
or (800) 544-5596.  Gary Wilson is our Tiger expert .  I bought, under
advice from Bob Palmer, their FR13A-3.75 Pusher fan with the
"Terminator" motor.  I also bought a quick connect, a relay base, the
threaded
foot kit, the terminator kit insulated 20 amp fuse with body-mount
holder, a 25 amp toggle switch and a 40 amp
relay. Didn't use the switch, as I found a SPST Lucas switch I put in
the unused "choke" hole.

Need some wood working behind this to clear the Lucas switch.  No
biggie.  The total cost was $120 plus $8
S&H and any appropriate taxes.  Good unit, 12 amps, with a 3 3/4 inch
over-all fan depth with this motor.  No
big pancake.  The 13 inch fan is 13 3/4 by 14 inches, and is as big as
your going to get in without major surgery.
1600 CFM.

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/