Re: Traction Bars

To: Bill Gegg <billgegg@ci.antioch.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Traction Bars
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 09:23:53 -0800

Bill Gegg wrote:

> I knew if I waited long enough, we would get back to traction bars.  I am
> thinking about removing my weld-on bars and converting them so that they
> attach to the front eye of the rear springs.  I would appreciate
> ideas/thoughts on the matter.

Bill,

The Traction Master design for the Alpine worked exactly that way.  The
front pivot welded on to the frame in the area of the front spring eye.  The
spring eye bolt was used to locate the bracket, which was tacked to the
frame.  The Springs and bolt are removed for complete welding.  In the end,
the horizontal bolt that the forward T-M eye fits is exactly beneath the
spring bolt, the same distance down as the rear axle support.  This gives a
parallelogram suspension system that does not cause the axle to try to
follow two pivot points, and put strange forces on the springs.  This mount
is thick steel, with a few notches to clear existing frame steel.

Your frame structure in that area looks pretty solid, to my eyes, but
reinforcing with extra steel is still a good idea.

I happen to have a set of those original Traction Master bars, NOS perfect
condition, and still in the original T-M box, with the original T-M decal
available.  These include the original yellowed newspaper they were packed
in.  Willing to sell to the highest outlandish price. {9->

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >