inquiry 121798b

To: "TransAtlantic Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: inquiry 121798b
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:48:48 -0500
  Paul Sheahan wrote:
* It's time to change the tires on the MKIA.  I have been running
*Yokohama A008R's 185 70 13.  I can't get them anymore here in NC.
*Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've had good service from both Discount Tire and Tire Rack, both
advertise in R&T and both carry Yokohama (I usually get AVS's, my last
set of 008's date from before they had the 008R's). On an only vaguely
semi-related note, anyone try the Michelin Pilot series yet? The Yoko
AVS's on my wife's Nissan are running out of tread, and if there's a
better (stickier) tire out there, I want it.

Chris.S.Mottram wrote:
*On the way to work today I saw a pickup truck hauling 4 Crosley's.

Trying to think of a car less like a Tiger. Nope.... can't do it.

*One nicely restored, two "drivers" and one mega rusty sprite looking
thing.

Super Sport if there were doors, HotShot if there weren't.

*Interesting truck/car/golfcart/Descheveaux (sp?)

Deux Cheveaux (I ain't sure of spelling either) is French for "Two
Horses" indicating that Citroen was capable of inflating their HP
outputs too.

*I had to tell someone.

Thanks for sharing.

Dennis Crimmins wrote:
*Can you use the alpine mark one or two wire wheels on a Tiger.

No idea; I would imagine, but only if you drove real slow or you'd rip
up the wheels like on the "Ken Miles" car. The fronts shouldn't be too
hard, but as the Tiger used a different rear axle, I dunno if the
hook-up would be practical. Hey, somone pointed out that MG's used a
bolt-on adapter to convert to wires; perhaps one of those could be
re-drilled to the Sunbeam bolt pattern? I do recall an old tech hint
where putting on MGB 14" wires on Alpines worked, so the spline pattern
must be the same.

There should be wire wheel choices for a Tiger other than Alpine wheels.
Cobras and Jaguars put out a lot of torque, and they had wire wheels.
Ferrari and Iso (drool) used Borrani wires, too. Plus the Dayton bolt-on
wheels you see put on old Lincolns. But to get enough strength (metal
gauge? spoke count?) you'd then not have the, ahem, "original" look.

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
lrw@aop.com