Brake Servo Rebuild Questions

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Brake Servo Rebuild Questions
From: "Wayne Pierzga" <w_pierzga@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 20:23:43 -0500
Hi:

I have rebuilt the brake servo on the Tiger I am restoring. It is the model
with the large drum. The rebuild kit included "special lubricant" to be
applied to the leather gasket on the vacuum piston. There really was not
much of this lubricant in the kit.

I reassembled the servo and reinstalled it on the car and bled the brakes.
When I start the car and apply the brakes they stay on until I shut off the
engine. At this point the vacuum is released and the brakes disengage. When
I start the car the brakes remain off until I depress the brakes at which
time they lock up again until the engine is off and the vacuum is released.

My suspicion is that the vacuum piston is not moving smoothly in the drum -
that the spring is not returning the piston to the end of its travel. Hence
the brakes stay on until the vacuum is removed.

Can anyone suggest a simple fix for this problem? I am tempted just to cycle
the engine on/off until the piston moves smoothly (assuming that this is the
problem).

If cycling the engine on/off does not solve the problem then I suspect that
I will take the drum front cover off and lubricate the piston. Can anyone
suggest where I might find more "special lubricant"? (Or tell me what it
is?)

Many thanks,

Wayne