Lowering top on early Tiger

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Lowering top on early Tiger
From: "Elea & Jeff" <jfeit@enter.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 22:48:25 -0500
Hi all, I'm a fairly new Tiger owner. The car is a '64 MKI, with a hard
boot for the convertible top. Although the car is mostly original (85K
miles, unrestored), I think that the top is fairly recent. It's been in my
wife's family since 1970, but the person who would know is no longer
around.

Anyway, after our best attempts, we can't get the top down far enough to
get the hard boot to close. The center section (hoops, header rail, window)
seems to stow well enough, but we can't get the side rails to fold down far
enough for the side covers to flip up. It's far enough that we can drive it
with no problem, but I'd like to be able to get the boot closed. It seems
like the problem is more in the frame than in the top material itself. I
don't want to risk tearing the top, so we haven't tried to force the frame
any further.

A fellow Tiger owner, with a soft boot, says that he has a hard time
getting his down even far enough to put the soft boot on.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jeff & Elea Feit