Re: 67 thin flanged blocks

To: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 67 thin flanged blocks
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:44:08 GMT j9HDibMa004820
Ya' know, Ron....

I'm personally inclined to agree with you
(and Frank) on the strength of the thin-wall
blocks, even though Rivergate will not accept them as cores, considering Bill
will not build on a thin-flange block.

I used my thin-wall '67 motor as the mule
for my Judson experiments back when I was hoping this blower could be utilized
on
a 1275 motor. I truly beat the hell outta this motor accordingly, and it
already had
55+K on it when the blower experiments
began.

When it became obvious to me the blower
was simply too problematic for the large bore motors, we reverted back to
normally
aspirated.

This well-used thin-flange obviously abused motor suffered no apparent damage
at all.

Even after all the detonation/
pre-ignition and uphill runs amid many
excursions to redline during the 5k miles
of experimentation as we dialed in fuel
jet size, ignition advance curve, plug
heat range and fiddled with blower wheel
sizes to come up with a true 6psi boost curve, this motor still subsequently ran
strong with no signs of oil burning, leakage, loss of compression or oil
pressure, performance or fuel economy.

So either I got lucky with a "good" motor,

Cap'n Bob
Basic Frog