A-Arm Arrgh Part Deux

To: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: A-Arm Arrgh Part Deux
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:24:34 -0400 information i98NR25e012814
I finally got to replacing the split A-Arm on the Midget. I got an
original A-Arm (stamped MOWOG) from Kevin V. (Thanks Kev) I got it
apart and it was in good shape. Heck even the screw fulcrum pin was in
good shape.

When I got the "brand new" replacement off, I found that it weighs
about a third LESS than an original. So after all the suggestions about
hard bushings, etc. The Winner Is:  Cheap Chinese Metal!!!!

I didn't take the time to actually weigh them, but holding one in one
hand and the other in the other hand, it was very obvious what the
deal was.

BTW, I replaced the old, but no where near worn out, poly bushings with
new poly bushings (sorry Peter, I like the way it changes the
handling). I found it a bit interesting that the old bushes and the new
bushes felt and looked nearly the same. There was very little wear.

The biggest bad news of this job for me?? I grease the suspension so
darn much this job is a greasy mess. But the whole thing comes apart
with ease. Took a bit over an hour.

Now I need a shower ;-)

Larry

--
Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu

 "Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions, they are a lot easier to
 handle than dumb mistakes.

--
believed to be clean.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: