Convertible vs. Roadster Hood

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>, midgetsprite group <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Convertible vs. Roadster Hood
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 16:06:09 -0800 (PST)
Since the weather is starting to cool here, I
reinstalled the convertible top on my '69 sprite.
First time on since installing the roll bar. Fit ok,
but raising it was difficult and when I tried to lower
it today to take my grandson on a ride, it was
impossible to get it to move. The hinge mechanism is
fouling on the rollbar. My question is: Have any of
you listers had a similar problem and if so what was
your solution. The clearance on the top of the roll
bar is adequate, but the sides conflict with some of
the hinged components. I have thought of reversing the
placement of some of the metal swiveling bars, maybe
grinding off the rivets and reversing the direction
and re attaching them. Another thought that came to
mind: My first sprite (a '62) had the type of top
(roadster style?) that came completely apart from the
metal bows and the top and bows stowed in the
trunk/boot. Would the older type fit the '69 sprite?
It sure was a lot easier to work with then my current
one.

Great day for a drive. Took my grandson with me. He is
blind. He said it was a blast. Like a roller-coaster.
Must admit I showed off a bit around the corners, but
that's what I would want someone to do for me. Funny
how a little car going really not very fast can be so
engaging. For both of us.

cheers, bill b.