Handbrake linkages - axle end

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Handbrake linkages - axle end
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 19:17:06 EDT
Hi List,

Having non standard rear brake drums on a wire wheel axle means I have hybrid
handbrake linkage rods.  The rods are a little worn at the ends and I am
loathe to get another set just to cut'n'shut.  I had thought about using a 1500
cable linkage but it didn't look appealing.  Then it occured to me that I could
use a cable linkage set up utilising the Wolseley 1500 axle handbrake balance
lever and make my own cables.

How realistic is it to make my own cables?  I can buy cable and nipples and
even solder them on, but is this how factory cables are made or do they have a
stronger method of securing the nipple to the cable (eg tons of hydraulic
power)?

Thanks

Daniel