RE: Exhaust header insulation

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Exhaust header insulation
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 10:18:15 -0400
Cc: "'Kansa, Robert'" <KansaR@diebold.com>
I did add some insulation to the fuel line as well, just as a further
precaution a few weeks after I installed the header wrap (I had header wrap
on hand, but nothing for fuel line insulation and I needed to solve the
issue before an autox).  Previous to this, I was also running a mechanical
fuel pump that was less the 1/2" from the downtube of the header, and
ultimately had to switch to an electric fuel pump to keep it from dying up a
long mountain climb that is nearby (boiling fuel inside the filter was a
sure giveaway of heat issues).  Following the switch to the electric pump, I
thought I had the issue licked until the last autox of the season resulted
in vapor lock happening again, although it was much improved in climbing the
mountain to get to the autox...  This led to the installation of the header
wrap, a successful autox session the next month, and then further insulation
of the fuel line just to make sure.

I also thought about a custom heat shield, but figured that wrap and
insulation would be easier for me as my thick fingers already have enough
trouble getting around the carbs without having to worry with more heat
shielding.

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@albemarle.org
'64 A-H Sprite