Re: TR7 and Triumphs in general

To: jleclainche@cox.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR7 and Triumphs in general
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 22:48:06 EDT
jleclainche@cox.net writes:

> I DO like Triumphs- especially the TR2/3/4, late model Spitfire/GT6, and the
> Stag- in that order. In January 1980 I bought a new Spitfire in England,
> and
> at the time my cousin had a TR4A. Hate to say this on this list, but I
> enjoyed my Spitfire just as much as my 1970 Sprite and my 1972 Midget...
> may
> be more... I remember the Spitfire cockpit as more spacious and comfortable
> than the Sprite, the handling not as good, but not bad (late model
> improvements to the infamous swing axle)... and I wished the Spridgets
> could
> have had the overdrive gearbox- really nice on motorways.

I had a 59 TR3A for several years before selling it last fall, and it was a
grand experience to drive it -- low-cut doors for that close-to-the-road
feeling, great low-end torque, and a very nice car for gently cruising
around.  But when the curves came and the driving turned more enthusiastic,
it just turned into a beast -- slidey and imprecise and just very unhappy.

The Bugeye is never happier than when it's flying around tight curves in full
song, but the TR3A would put up with none of that sort of nonsense -- it was
like driving around with the Queen.  So it's gone.

Chris Eck
59 Bugeye
(ex) 59 TR3A