Re: Paint and Chrome

To: pauld@ekpc.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint and Chrome
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 01:11:58 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/01 7:14:08 AM, pauld@ekpc.com writes:

<< As some of you may remember, I had an accident in my '66 Sprite
some time ago and have been looking for a home for my strong
1275 complete with Datsun tranny.  This new car will be the car
that I keep.  With a 1275 and a Datsun, it will not be concourse
(spelling).
<snip>
What type of paint should I use?
Should I go with a clearcoat?
What brand of paint?
Should I have the body parts sprayed individually?
Should I have the car undercoated or painted underneath?

Color schemes:  Should I put the original color scheme back on
the car - unknown to me right now.  I like Old English White with a
red interior.

Paul:
For our Bugeye we ended up in a Hot Rod shop, priced about $5K, and
competitive with some pretty sleazy looking shops that did seem to do nice
work.  They picked up the car pieces (we took it apart), stripped it,
repaired some rust damage and shook out some bondo that the previous repairer
"didn't" put in and properly repaired that damage.  Each piece was de-rust
coated, primered, and painted on both sides and cleanly finished with PPG
2000 which I think is a 3 coat paint without clearcoat.  We did not
undercoat, so wheel wells, undercarriage,  inside of the bugeye bonnet,
floors, etc. are all the same color.  Shop around.  You may not find a much
better price, but you may find a shop that makes you more comfortable which
is what we did.  Incidentally, even the chains seem to want bigbux for doing
a specialty vehicle.  If you are in Southern California let me know off list
and I'll give you the name of my guy.

The second thing is that the Primer is usually color keyed to the eventual
color, so the originally planned color needs to be considered when selecting
a new color.  That's mostly why our 66 is still in pieces.   PO wanted BRG.
We don't, but it makes sense to do it in BRG.

Clearcoat is probably going to get you lots of opinions.  Our 78 Volvo was a
disaster after 3 years.  Our 88 Festiva looks just fine after 13  years.  I
really believe that with  current technology if you get a decent coat of wax
on the clearcoat before it has a chance to start chipping and oxidizing, the
clearcoat probably will hold up pretty well.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes)