What Would You Do?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: What Would You Do?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:43:06 -0700
I've got good news and bad news about my Bugeye.  First the bad news.  I
noticed today on the freeway at 60 mph that my oil pressure was just
over 40 psi.  Until very recently the car would always run at 55 psi at
speed and 20 psi at idle.  It was over 60 psi cold tosay, but after
warming up it would not go above 42-43 psi.  At idle it was as low as 10
psi!  The oil is less than 1000 miles old, but was thin for 20-50wt and
smelled of gasoline.  I thought maybe an oil change would bring it up
some and this evening I changed it with straight 40 wt and a new
filter.  Cold, it was well over 60 psi, but once warm it was back down
to a little over 40 psi. there is only 2477 miles total on the rebuild
of this engine.  I suspect the bearings are the culprit and in the next
few days I am going to drop the pan and inspect the center main (they
always go first due to crank flex) and if it is bad I have a decision to
make.
     Now the good news.  If the 948 is bad, the supercharger goes up on
eBay along with my NOS Sprite Abarth muffler to fund either a 948
rebuild or a 1275 swap and
5 speed Datsun plus a disc brake conversion.  What I would like to hear
from you guys is; what would you do if you had a stock 948 Sprite to
convert  to a 1275, 5speed?  What pistons, cam, exhaust, electrical
changes, suspension would you like to see if you had a stock car to
convert?  Keep in mind the budget will only be about $1500 to do this,
but I can get a 1275 with a worked, bench flowed head rather
inexpensive.
Mike MacLean Supercharged (but not for long) 60 Sprite
P.S. More bad news.  My smoothcase trans is starting to make noise when
you come off the gas in 3rd and forth.  Can't tell if it is a bearing in
the driveshaft or the trans.  Oooboy.