British Engineering

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: British Engineering
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:33:11 -0700
In their infinite wisdom, whoever engineered the generator mounting
setup must have been having a pint while he did it.  If you don't have a
Bugeye here is the setup, two mounting bolts for the generator at the
engine and a bracket connected at the other side of the generator with a
COARSE screw (what threads?) that threads directly into the generator
bracket!  Was this guy on drugs?!?!?!?!  If there is any vibration in
the engine (who has no vibration?) this bolt works loose or as in my
case strips the threads and falls out!  Now, the generator is hanging
out there on a cantilever soaking up the engine vibrations (what's a
generator weigh?), flexing the drive belt back and forth, giving  the
crank pulley constant pulsations.  As in all problems with British cars,
one problem usually causes another, the timing cover seal is ruined.  I
have sticky, dirty oil all over the timing cover and adjacent engine
bay.  The timing of the Judson installation was fortunate, as the
missing bolt was hidden by the radiator that had to be removed to
install the Judson pulley!  O.K., so now I need a new timing cover seal
and gasket BEFORE installing the Judson pulley that sits on top of the
crank pulley.  Do you think any of the local suppliers have it?  Even if
you have the seal part numbers by two different manufacturers (Chicago
Rawhide 550081 or National 1873) and the dimensions (1.562 shaft X 2.326
O.D. X .374 Wide) they all have to special order it.  They say it is
obsolete!  Then I remembered I live 10 minutes away from APT.  I'm going
over there right now and pickup my seal AND gasket.  DUHHH?  Yes, I know
I should have called them first, just trying to save a buck.  The Judson
installation saga continues.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite