simpson belts, long but possibly worth it in the end........

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: simpson belts, long but possibly worth it in the end........
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:21:13 -0000
i'm sure the racers out there are aware about this but most people are not.
the belts that simpson sells are available in any lengths you need.   the
ones depicted on their web site and in the catalog(same stuff)are sold as a
specified length for sets thatthey feel are pretty universal in lengths of
lap, shoulder and the anti-submarine belts.
but if you measured and found the lengths are too short for a specific
aplication you can call hem up and order the length you need at no extra
charge.
for example lets say the set in the catalog has the right measurements for
the length lap belt but the shoulder harness was too short.  they will
either sell you a stock length lap belt and a stock length anti-submarine
belt and a set of custom length shoulder harness belts as 3 seperate items
or as a "custom ordered set " of belts.
for the longest time i looked at their catalog and wanted a specific set of
belts but i needed a bigger(much longer for rotundus-chuckus) lap belt than
in catalog.  so i looked at other catalogs thinking" hey, someone must make
what i needed" and found similar "stock" sizes and nothing longer like what
i needed.  and i'm acustomed to paying through the nose for anything "custom
taylored" that is not an "off the rack" item.   i thought that the belts
were a bit expensive and after a "custom order" would really get way out of
hand price wise.   i was wrong!  after a incredible long hold for customer
service i got a very nice person who took my figures and asked me to draw on
a piece of paper  a laid out seat belt and add my measurements from mount to
mount for a lap belt and mount to center buckle for the shoulder and
anti-submarine belts and either fax or mail in my drawing to his attention.
and was informed that they would have to cut the set of belts any way so
extra length or shortening a piece would be no problem and was at no
aditional cost to the advertised price for the set!   now, i'm positive
other racing harness manufacturers do a similar deal in custom belt
sizing(but i have had no experience with others) but my experience is with
simpson only.
another deal is if you have a set of old competition belts and are in need
of new ones possibly for racing the date codes are past due for replacement
or you bought an old car that has sat out in the weather allowing the once
neat "competition belts to get rotted and rusty?     DO NOT throw out the
old nasty belts!  simpson as others might will give a trade in allowance
towards the purchase price of a new set of belts (brand-x nasty
belt=discounted new simpson belt).  also if it is a simpson belt you already
have , they can re-web it and recondition the oldbelt for far cheaper than
buying new ones would cost.
i keep a few sets of "junk belts " around just for trades when it is new
belt time for a project here.
now this applies to competition belts not stock factory types.
but it is a heck of a deal, if you are being consicious about your spending
on your project.

chuck.
i started with a trade of an old latch type that was junk , and ended up
with a new cam lock in my size and my color choice for around half price of
a new set!    not too shabby !....c.  :)