Re: Trans. mounts

To: Robert Sexson <rsexson@excite.com>
Subject: Re: Trans. mounts
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:51:22 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Robert Sexson wrote:

> I have a question about the tranny mounts on my 74 Midget. Moss showes three
> mounts, two side and one center. Mine has only the two side mounts with a
> metal strap going over the top of the trany tail shaft. Is this a normal set
> up or what? Anyone know about this? Where could I get the rubber insulator
> that goes under the metal strap? TIA

Robert

The 74 DID have this metal strap and no center mount.
I have two 74 trannys in my garage. The rubber cover is just a thin
rubber sleeve, use a hunk of old inner tube or aska roofer for a small
piece of EPDM roofing material. If you know of any roofers, I'm sure
they will give you a hunk.

I do not know why the 74 has this strap and no center mount. The holes
are there for the center mount in the tranny. Maybe it was another cost
saving modification? Also, I think 74 started with the metal rod bolting
the engine/trans to the body so it didn't leave the car in a severe
accident. Maybe this strap had something to do with retaining the trans
to the body in the event of an accident.

--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ