Re: Seeking: Oil dipstick 1500

To: jfgratton@w3m.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seeking: Oil dipstick 1500
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:27:39 EDT
In a message dated 8/21/2000 11:16:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jfgratton@w3m.net writes:

<< Does anyone out
 there
 have a Midget 1500 dipstick lying around, I'd really appreciate it. >>

Jean:

Nice site!   The Classic Sightings idea is a neat one.  Per the dipstick:  If
no one comes up with one, and certainly you do absolutely need one, I made
one once for an old Jeepster I was spiffing up.  It came with just a hole
inthe block whree the dipstick should have been.  I went to the junk yard and
bought a dipstick with a fitting that would fit the hole snugly.  It was too
long, so I held it up beside the engine and estimated how long I would need
the ds to clear the bottom of the oil pan and cut it off a couple of inches
shorter.  Then I changed my oil, putting back all but 1 QUART of the oil
capacity listed in the Shop Manual.  I think it called for 6 quarts and I put
5 in.  Started it up to circulated it into the new oil filter, then shut it
off and let it sit for about 5 minutes.  Then I pushed the replacement oil
dipstick into the hole and withdrew it.  Using a hacksaw, I cut a groove at
the level of the oil.  Then I poured the final quart of oil into the engine,
pushed the dipstick into the hole again, and sawed another shallow groove at
the oil level on the stick. That was the full mark.  (Be sure to get all the
metal filings off the stick before putting it back into the engine).

Worked great!  Never had any urge to replace it with a stock stick since it
was adequate for the purpose.

--David C.