Tach Drive Problem

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tach Drive Problem
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 23:23:05 -0500
OK listers,  Charles is bored and not many problems have been coming
forth.
Here's one for you:

When I attach a tach drive to the rear of the Bugeye's dynamo, it makes
a clacking noise.  Here's what I've done so far:
-removed tach cable while leaving drive attached to dynamo.
-disassembled and lubed tach drive.
-substituted 3 different tach drives (not all at once!).
-removed, disassembled, and reassembled dynamo looking for any wear in
the front bearing or rear bush.
-removed a second time and replaced rear bush.
If I hold the drive just right with the engine running it will be ok for
awhile (this is not a satisfactory solution).  On all of the above
trials the problem persists.  The only thing I can think of is to
substitute another generator.  Somehow a side-load is being introduced
making the grinding sound.  It doesn't matter how tight the drive is
attached; I know enough not to over tighten it.  I even used my good
original w/ the knurled fastener.

Any ideas?????

Dave
59 :{)
59 MGA
Burlington, Wisconsin.......State of Confusion