Re: Guns

To: RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Guns
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 06:49:54 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/2000 7:53:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca writes:

<< Too many steak knives ( latest weapon of choice in Ottawa ), too many
 cretins, not enough punishment, not enough right, too much alcohol, not
 enough income, too
 many politicians who would rather appease the public's perception instead of
 fixing the problems.

 The incidence of crime is pegged to how well ( or not ) the economy is
 doing.  Another alarming statistic, is how many children are being raised
 without proper parental examples.  How does a boy grow into a man without a
 father to teach him the proper ethics of a man?  How does a girl grow to be
 a woman and choose her 'right man' ( if so inclined ) without the example of
 her father?  ( It goes much deeper than those superficial examples, but ...
 consult an expert. :) )

 It is not the object, but the person.  The buck stops here.  It's not what
 we own, but what we do with it that determines who we are.

 Penises and vaginas are far more serious to use than firearms.  When you
 create a life, yours is no longer ( completely ) yours.  You are responsible
 for your offsprings' direction, in much the same way that you are
 responsible to ensure that your spridget steers and brakes.

 A .357 in the drawer, shouldn't mean anything to someone who is loved by
 someone.  When you know and understand that your actions affect people that
 you love and/or that love you, you don't do anything foolish based on a 'bad
 day'.  Mental illness could still be a problem.  In Canada, identified
 mental illness and/or violent criminal behaviour has long been a reason to
 disallow people to purchase/retain firearms.

 If you like guns, use them for their purpose, but keep the idiots away from
 them.  I remember the story where some dolt thought that keeping a loaded
 revolver on his mantle was a good idea at a gathering.  Someone who didn't
 know better picked it up, aimed it at a door and shot his ( 2 year old? )
 son through the door.  The firearm should never have been made available to
 someone who does not understand the consequences of not knowing what his
 potential targets are.  If you own a firearm, you have to think it through
 and not allow it to get into the wrong hands.  Imagine ( you, your
 wife/girlfriend/child) coming home and finding out the hard way that someone
 had broken into your house in your absence and had picked up your firearm
 and was quite ready to use it ...  IMHO, you are responsible for the firearm
 in your care until it is stolen and removed from your property.  In my
 country, you are a criminal if someone manages to steal a firearm from you.
 I don't agree with that, but I do realize that the victim of the theft could
 die by the thief. >>

What he said!  Well stated Robert. I especially agreed with the importance of
the father to BOTH the development of the son AND the daughter.  ( I guess I
am one of those "experts" Robert mentioned, being a career Professional
Counselor) Wonderful article a few years ago, I have forgotten both the
author and the source, entitled "Like Father, Like Daughter", relaying the
crucial impace of the absence of the father in the daughter's development.
All your points are convincing and well-thought-out.

--David C.