Re: Installing engine and tranny separately

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Installing engine and tranny separately
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 21:56:00 -0400
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I have decided that this time, I will install the 5-speed first and then the
> engine.  Since I haven't done it this way, any pointers?
>
> Specifically, how should I jack up the car?  Level?  Butt in the air?
> Any tips on getting the engine to mate with the transmission in the depths
> of the engine compartment without bending the transmission input shaft etc?
>
> The two are united on the workbench right now, so I know they will go
> together.

Ulix

Car level on the ground. Drive shaft out, install 5 speed, I found it
much easier to cut a 5" square hole (like the 74 Midgets have) in the
tunnel floor to get to the rear mount, drive shaft, and speedo cable.
Then the engine goes right in. But I have a Bugeye with no front end
sheet metal in the way, I don't even take off the bonnet. Just slide it
straight in. You may have tilt troubles.
Make sure you Neverseize the bellhousing/engine bolts, they are a bit of
a PITA to get at with the tranny inplace. No impossible though. I have
had my engine out 3 times leaving the 5 speed in place.

Good luck

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ