Re: Hello; Glycol and Silicone

To: Amy Turner <ltturner@cococo.net>
Subject: Re: Hello; Glycol and Silicone
From: "Dennis Bufton" <bufton@tenet.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 12:34:30 -0700
Cc: Spridgets Mailgroup <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Amy, et al,

This is in response to your question about the hazards of mixing
glycol-based and
silicone brake fluid.

 1. The "experts" say don't mix fluid types.  In fact "they" don't
recommend
    mixing brands of fluids.
 2. I haven't heard of an adverse reaction between the DOT3/4 and DOT5
fluids other
    than possible deterioration of performance (i.e. spongy pedal;
dragging brakes.)
 3. Many British cars of our vintage used natural rubber seals.  In my
experience these
    weren't compatible with anything--especially silicone.  Swelling or
leaking seals
    are the most common problems.
 4. You should be able to safely flush the old mix.  But I state the
obvious: Check for
    leaks and changes in braking performance.

Hope this helps.

DB