Re: [Spits] [TR] SU's/needles/jets ??

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] [TR] SU's/needles/jets ??
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 15:57:40 -0400
On 9 Jun 2008 at 13:47, maya2blue@juno.com wrote:

> I recently posted the following:
>
> "I have a US 1500 1978 Triumph Spitfire with HS2's (tagged AUC9831 &
> AUC9831R...

> 1) Is the AN needle okay for street use?
> 2) What springs do I need, and how do I tell what I have?

As far as I know SU needles normally had a 3-letter designation like
AAE or ABL or something, so AN seems strange to me.  I don't recall
noting a jet number, never had to myself, but the needle numbers are
usually stamped on the needle itself, as I recall on the shaft at the
thick end, though maybe on the mounting flange.  The springs were
identified by a color, and as I recall there were three different
stiffnesses.  They were chosen for the airflow drawn by the engine,
so unless you're swapping carbs from an engine of different size or
one is busted you shouldn't have to bother with them.  It's hard to
say just what would be "okay for street use" without knowing more.
But there is one person who can definitely help:

Call Joe Curto.
http://www.joecurto.com/
(718)762-SUSU (7878)

He's the man.