Zenith Stromberg Metering Needle troubles

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Zenith Stromberg Metering Needle troubles
From: "OKCSpitfire" <OKCSpitfire@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:40:42 -0500
Hello Triumph Enthusiasts,

I just rebuilt my Zenith Stromberg CD150 carb from a MOSS kit but the kit
did not have the metering needle. The number on the carb indicates it is a
B1DL metering needle. I notice that the needle was flat on one side, it
looks like wear but since I no absolutly nothing about these carbs and their
wear characteristics I could not say for sure. My plan is to replace it with
a new needle but in the mean time I wanted to know how the engine will react
with the needle as is. I have been driving the car and it seems to perform
fairly well however at high speeds 60-70 it seems a bit sluggish and acts
like it is straining to maintain constant speed. Two days ago I pulled the
top of the carb off and dumped some of the damper oil 5w 20 and for the past
two days it drive like it is suppose to, not sluggish and not straining.
Question is should I replace the needle or leave well enough alone?

Thanks
Jerry Stasyszen
76 Spitfire