Re: Spitfire Ignition Problems

To: Roger Elliott <elliottr@rmi.net>, Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Ignition Problems
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 22:22:29 -0700 (PDT)
--- Roger Elliott <elliottr@rmi.net> wrote:

> Good questions.
>
> I just checked the plug wire resistance.  On two
> sets the resistance is
> in 7 k ohms range. The third set is in the 650 ohms
> range.  Which should
> be right?

They are probably both OK.  The resistance is
deliberately added to reduce radio interference.
The odds of all 4 wires failing is pretty remote :-)

Maybe  you have a shorted distributor cap or rotor,
so the spark may be strong right out of the coil,
but it is getting mostly shunted to ground by the
time it reaches the spark plugs.

Doug

===     http://www.vtr.org