Re: MkIV Spitfire rear spring fix work on Herald?

To: bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk, david.randall@shaw.ca,
Subject: Re: MkIV Spitfire rear spring fix work on Herald?
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 18:19:58 EDT
In a message dated 5/22/2006 6:12:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk writes:

There is a conversion kit produced which uses the same swing-spring  design
as the MkIV and 1500 Spitfires. The spring itself is heavier to deal  with
the greater weight of the Herald, using the standard MkIV Spitfire  spring
isn't satisfactory.

==AM==
Bill beat me to this answer by just a minute or two. :-) I would  emphasize,
however, his use of the words "conversion KIT." It is not a good  idea just to
use the swing-spring alone; it really should be paired with the  thicker
front anti-roll bar (which can come from a MkIV or 1500  Spitfire).

Of course, another option is a camber compensator!
==AM==

> Also, as far as I know only Canada and Australia got  the 12/50 sport
> convertibles: is this true?

I'm no expert on  the export models, but the 12/50 Convertible was certainly
not marketed in  the UK. There was a 12/50 Coupe assembled in Australia, and
I have heard of  a small batch of around 100 12/50 Convertibles being built
at Canley. Other  12/50 Convertibles may have been built at the Belgian, or
other, overseas  assembly plants.

==AM==
>From what I've read, I will agree with Bill here...although I'd  certainly
welcome information to the contrary. Note that AMI also built  12/50-badged
saloons for Australia, and there were of course "Sports 1200"  convertibles and
sedans for the
U.S. market, circa 1966-67. These differed from the Canadian Sports 12/50
models only in badging, as far as I know.

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with   wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and
Triumph Herald Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)

===     http://www.vtr.org