Re: The problems with button snaps

To: s1500@comcast.net, spitfires@autox.team.net (Spitfires)
Subject: Re: The problems with button snaps
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:48:56 -0400
At 03:24 PM 4/10/2006 +0000, s1500@comcast.net wrote:

>The few problems I ran into. No matter how hard I tried with the rivet gun,
>all the button snaps I rivted into place weren't perfect jobs. They are a bit
>loose, some I can freely spin around and another I can shift a bit. What's the
>trick to getting button snaps on? Was the shank length of the rivets(the
>shortest I could find in my variety pack) still too long?

Is the "snout" of the rivet gun reaching the head of the rivet, or is it
blocked by the snap?  I have a rivet gun with a
relatively long and narrow snout, and it works fine.  Maybe you can put a
couple of not-too-large washers
between the gun and the rivet head so that the force is transmitted to the
rivet head instead of the snap.

>As for the female end button snaps and trying to make one, what's the trick? I
>have a hammer + the chisel thing. I try to swack the "tube" down, and it never
>lands down straight. It always goes off on an angle, thus creating a
>shifted-off connection that usually gets in the way of the "male" end of the
>button snap.

I have used the "Dritz" brand anvil and die, and they did a very nice job.  The
die (the part you hit), has a little
nose that fits inside the "tube" and keeps everything centered.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org