RE: Advice on prospective spitfire purchase

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Advice on prospective spitfire purchase
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:16:58 -0500
Thanks to all that responded to my question about purchasing the 79 spit
for $3500.  The great advice from Rick, Andy, Tom, Jerry, Sam, David, Nick,
D.T. and Hector were very helpful in making my mind up and I thank you all!
I ended up not offering the $3500 the seller was asking, instead I offered
$2500.  In an effort to be magnanimous with someone that I have a work
relationship with, I offered another $200 if he delivered it to my home (it
would cost me $150 to hire a tow truck anyway, but he has a closed trailer)
and he accepted it at $2700 delivered.  Probably still a little high but I
cant tell you how THRILLED I am to finally have a rust free spitfire after
fighting a continual battle with the tinworm since 1981.

Im not going to restore it to concourse or even near-concourse condition,
at least not at this time, but a $500 paint job, some new carpets (the
generic stuff you buy in the auto parts store gives acceptable results),
good quality seat covers and re-vinyl the interior and I will have a car
that I will be very happy with.  That will more or less bring me up to the
$3500 I was going to pay for just the car.

Now I get to make the fun decisions  swap over the 78 cooling system with
the professional re-cored radiator?  Swap the chrome bumpers over?  Swap the
air shocks over?  POR-15 the floor pans?  What color paint?  I guess the
first order is to get the brakes working!  (Actually the first order is to
find space for another car.)

Again my sincere thanks to all!!!

Best!

Greg