RE: rear sway bar

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>, "M D Nugent" <carcentric@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: rear sway bar
From: "Gosling, Richard" <r.gosling@penspen.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:46:08 -0000
Joe,

Should have known you'd chime in on this one!

You suggest "...it will have another more positive effect.  since the
wheel tuck only becomes a problem when the unloaded wheel is allowed to
drop and suddenly becomes loaded when the turn is reversed, the swaybar
may actually help solve wheel tuck by not allowing the unloaded wheel to
drop..."

Surely the inside wheel will always drop, unless you introduce a rear
anti-roll bar that is so stiff that either
A) the car barely rolls at all in corners, or
B) the inner rear wheel actually picks up clear of the ground when the
car rolls, like a racing VW Golf (see
http://bilsport.net/ormis/bilder/lillehammer04.jpg if you've never
witnessed this phenomenon!)

In either case you have little or no contact force at the inside wheel,
which can then easily spin if any significant throttle is applied
(unless you have a limited slip diff).  Which is an entirely different
problem to wheel tuck, but still not ideal!

Which suggests to me that the swing-spring has a second, and quite
probably unintentional, benefit:  with almost equal contact force at
both rear (driven) wheels, you are far less likely to spin a wheel if
you hoof it mid-corner, unless you have enough torque (and little enough
grip) to spin both.

Maybe lots of rear roll stiffness would work as an alternative solution,
but my instinct is that, if you were going to go that route, you'd want
to do it in a big way (and not start with a swing spring).  Mixing just
a bit of this solution with its diametric opposite, the swing spring,
does not inspire me as a good idea.  One or the other!

However, I openly and freely acknowledge that Joe is much more
experienced at this stuff than me (just someone playing with the theory,
but with no practical experience), and I bow to his superior knowledge.
Just playing Devil's Advocate, I guess!

Richard Gosling

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged.
If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return E-mail
and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination
of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that
E-mails are susceptible to change.

The Penspen Group shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any
delay in its receipt or damage to your system. The Penspen Group does not
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or that
this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.

===     http://www.vtr.org