RE: Weber DGV/Pierce manifold

To: "'Paul Grafelman'" <pdgrafelman@hotmail.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Weber DGV/Pierce manifold
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:22:00 +0100
Take this response with a reasonable pinch of salt, 'cos it's a
half-remembered something I read a while ago, but there is a good reason for
heating the inlet manifold.  It's something to do with the fuel condensing
on the surface of a cold manifold, which is not a good thing, since we want
all the fuel to go straight into the combustion chamber rather than puddling
in the bottom of the manifold.  When a turbocharger (or supercharger) is
fitted, there's more reason to try and cool the inlet air, since the charger
will significantly raise the temperature of the air along with its pressure.

Of course, with modern fuel-injected engines, the fuel introduced into the
air much later, so this isn't an issue.

I might have remembered this all wrong, in which case feel free to ridicule
me ;)

Richard

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If
you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly
prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in
this communication shall be legally binding.