Speedometer problems

To: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Speedometer problems
From: "Mike Welch" <mike@componentscience.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:45:49 -0600
On my '69 Spit MkIII I have installed a new speedometer (the old one
disintegrated internally), hooked up a new cable and it didn't work.  I can
tell that the cable socket at the tranny end turns, and turning the cable
using a drill will make the speedo needle move smoothly.  I can insert the
cable into the tranny end, see the socket moving, but the cable doesn't turn.
As a test, I wrapped the cable end with tin-foil and everything worked for
about 15 miles before the tin-foil came out.  So it seems to me that the cable
socket at the tranny end isn't grabbing hold of the cable.

Is the speedo cable socket (at the tranny) adjustable?  There is a bolt that
holds it in, and it seems to be adjustable, but I haven't found any reference
to speedometer adjustments in my manuals.

What is that socket thing called?

Mike Welch
'69 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
Colorado Springs, CO